Transfer Planning

Preparing students to transfer to four-year universities is one of the primary missions of California Community Colleges. There are multiple ways for students to transfer depending on their individual goals. The counselors at your local community college will work with you to establish an appropriate transfer path that's right for you. The following information can help you get started.

One way to explore your transfer options is on new_window ASSIST is an online student-transfer information system that shows how course credits earned at one public California college or university can be applied when transferred to another. ASSIST is the official repository of articulation for California's public colleges and universities and provides the most accurate and up-to-date information about student transfer in California. You can use ASSIST to find community college courses that are transferable to a UC or CSU campus and how those courses might be used to satisfy specific subject matter requirements for admissions, General Education, or lower division major preparation. You can also use ASSIST to explore the majors available at University of California and California State University campuses.

Another option available to California community college students is the Associate Degree for Transfer program. This program is a joint effort of the California Community Colleges and the California State Universities that makes it easier for students to transfer between the two school systems. For the first time in California history, community college students who complete a new AA-T or AS-T degree will be guaranteed admission to the California State University (CSU) system. With this new degree, you have the opportunity to complete two degrees with only 120 units if you apply and are admitted into a similar degree program.

Through the new program, students who complete an AA-T or AS-T will be given a special GPA advantage when applying to CSU impacted campuses or majors. Students with an AA-T or AS-T also enter the CSU system with junior standing. Students who are admitted to a program that has been deemed similar will need only 60 more semester units (or 90 quarter units) to complete a bachelor's degree.

To get started on your AA-T or AS-T, or for more information, check out a community college website, or visit a counseling office to learn about how the joint transfer program can help you achieve your education goals.

You can find contact information for all of the California Community Colleges and California State University campuses, and additional details about the ADT program - as well as research the AA-T or AS-T that might be right for you - at

For students interested in transferring to a UC campus, six campuses offer guaranteed admission to California community college students who meet specific requirements. By participating in a Transfer Admission Guarantee (TAG) program, you will receive early review of your academic records, early admission notification and specific guidance about major preparation and general education coursework. It's important to note that students can transfer to UC campuses that do not offer the TAG program. In addition to the UC TAG program, the UC now provides transfer roadmaps to 21 of the most popular majors with more on the way. Termed "UC Transfer Pathways", the pathways are especially hepful to students who know of a major they would like to study, but have not yet decided which UC campuses they would like to apply to, as a single set of courses can prepare you for any of the 9 UC campuses.  More information on transferring to a UC campus can be found at new_window