Transfer Admission

You're a transfer student if you enrolled in a regular session (fall, winter or spring) at a college or university after high school. (Taking a class or two during the summer term immediately following high school doesn't make you a transfer student.)

You can't disregard your college record and apply as a freshman.

The vast majority of transfer students come to UC at the junior level from California community colleges. The university gives qualified California community college students priority in admissions over applicants from four-year and out-of-state institutions.

Transferring as a Junior

To meet the minimum requirements for admission to UC as a junior transfer student, California residents must fulfill one of the following options:

  1. Completion of the UC Transfer Curriculum for the applicant's chosen major along with 60 (90 quarter) transferrable units.
  2. Completion of an SB 1440 Associate Degree for Transfer in the applicant's chosen major at a California Community College.
  3. Completion of the minimum criteria of seven courses specified below along with 60 (90 quarter) transferrable units; each course must be worth at least three semester (4-5 quarter) unitsearning a grade of C or better in each course: 
    1. Two courses in English composition
    2. One course in mathematical concepts and quantitative reasoning
    3. Four courses chosen from at least two of the following subject areas: arts and humanities, social and behavioral sciences and physical and biological sciences

Earn at least a 2.4 GPA in UC-transferrable courses; for some programs a higher GPA may be required.

For students enrolled at a California community college, completing the Intersegmental General Education Transfer Curriculum (IGETC) prior to transferring to UC may satisfy the required seven-course pattern for UC, depending on the courses you take. For more, visit new windowthe ASSIST website.

In order to be competitive for admission selection, applicants should complete required prerequisite courses for their intended major in addition to basic minimum requirements. The University of California has specified additional requirements and rules about transfer GPA for transfer applicants.


The minimum admission requirements for nonresidents are the same as for California residents with the exception that nonresidents must have a grade point average of 2.8 or higher in all transferable college coursework.

Information to help determine if course work transfers to UC can be found at new windowthe University of California website.